Home Community Chat Up ! My Experiments With Truth – Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Hardeep 3 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Hardeep
    Keymaster

Have started reading this book lately and will put here interesting excerpts. Join in !

My Experiments With TruthHere is what the wiki has to say : The Story of My Experiments with Truth is the autobiography of Mohandas K. Gandhi, covering his life from early childhood through to 1921. It was written in weekly instalments and published in his journal Navjivan from 1925 to 1929. Its English translation also appeared in instalments in his other journal Young India. It was initiated at the insistence of Swami Anand and other close co-workers of Gandhi, for him to explain the background of his public campaigns. In 1999, the book was designated as one of the “100 Best Spiritual Books of the 20th Century”> by a committee of global spiritual and religious authorities.

Hardeep
    Keymaster

From the introduction to the English Translation ( in 1940 ) :

The translation, as it appeared serially in Young India, had, it may be noted, the benefit of Gandhiji’s revision. It has now undergone careful revision, and from the point of view of language, it has had the benefit of careful revision by a revered friend, who, among many other things, has the reputation of being an eminent English scholar. Before undertaking the task, he made it a condition that his name should on no account be given out. I accept the condition. It is needless to say it heightens my sense of gratitude to him.

This for a book which the translator perhaps knows even at the time will be a historical one !

Just goes to show the values generally prevalent in those times . Not sure if they still exist today….

Hardeep
    Keymaster

“Generations to come, it may well be, will scarce believe that such a man as this one ever in flesh and blood walked upon this Earth.”

– Albert Einstein, quoted on Gandhi’s 70th Birthday

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.